Friday, November 6, 2015

Poor Tommy



Poor Tommy Turkey ....
he seems to get skipped over
in the holiday line up
of characters.

We all agree
that he is not 
the most handsome feathered fellow,
but he is the main symbol
of our Thanksgiving festivities --
like it or not.


I was recently antiquing in 
Oklahoma City with
my mother-in-law and two of my
sisters-in law (so much FUN!)
and ran across
the prettiest turkey plate
pattern that I really wanted to bring home.

Not a great shot.... the plates were up high and I had to snap these with my cell phone.

The artist of this vintage 
transferware pattern 
managed to make him
look so handsome 
with his deep teal feathered coat.
Striking.




This six plate grouping was priced at $185 but they were salad plates and not
dinner size plates so I passed. I thought the price was high,
but after researching them when I got home -- the price was not too bad.

I would love to have a 
set of ten or twelve of these
with the matching platter
to use for Thanksgiving dinners.

(Something nice to pass on to my children too.)

 Aren't they pretty?






Here are some other lovely turkey patterns 
if you are interested 
in adding one or two 
to your holiday tablescape.

Be sure to check the dimensions 
if you are thinking about purchasing
one of these vintage or antique platters.
Many of them are not large enough
to hold one the giant steroid gobblers
that we serve these days!


Find this platter HERE

Vintage Le Chef St-Laurent Japan Oval Turkey Serving Plate 18.5 in Platter Brown Transferware
Buy this HERE

Thanksgiving Tom Turkey Dinnerware Set 8 Brown Transferware Plates & Platter Clarice Cliff Hand Painted Autumn Foliage
Here is a gorgeous set that Nancy is selling --- buy it HERE




Johnson Brothers Windsor Ware, "Wild Turkey"  Platter, LARGE, 20 " x 15 3/4", English Transferware, Thanksgiving, Serving, FREE SHIPPING
Buy this one HERE

Royal Staffordshire Large 15 x 19 inch Turkey Platter by Clarice Cliff. Made in England
A platter from Clarice Cliff can be found HERE
Spode-WOODLAND-Turkey-17-3-4-Rectangular-Serving-Platter-6796073
This one from Spode can be found HERE
This one on Ebay -- HERE


Buy this HERE

Huge Turkey Platter  Midwinter Polychrome Black Transferware Thanksgiving Serving Tray English Ironstone China
Another gorgeous one at Nancy's shop -- find it HERE


To find out more about the history 
of these turkey plates and platters,
please visit Nancy at Nancy's Daily Dish.

Or visit her online shop
 where you can buy direct
from her seemingly limitless collection!


Thanks for stopping by.
Enjoy your weekend.
Alison


Spode pattern as seen on Replacements, Ltd. 

12 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

They are all beautiful. You could use them all fall, not just on Thanksgiving.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

So much to love here! I have a plain white one with an embossed turkey but have always wanted one like these. I'll look at the links. Have a great weekend yourself!

Sarah said...

Alison, I've long admired the turkey transfer ware pieces. I had a platter, but I let it go last spring in the big purge. A set of plates would be fun to have as a family tradition. I agree, the Clarice Cliff pattern is pretty. One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing these choices.

Susie said...

I loved seeing all the beautiful turkey plates and platters. So many. You are right, why are we in such a hurry...let's enjoy each great season. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Anonymous said...

Oh, too bad those turkey dishes were so expensive but how pretty they were. Love seeing all of the pretty platters. The last one is gorgeous!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I've always loved these platters but have hesitated buying one because I would only use it once a year, and even then, the turkey picture gets covered up! I think if I ever do get one, it would be mainly for display purposes.

The French Hutch said...

The turkey china has been passed here and I didn't intend it that way, just happened. I do have a white turkey platter that I use and sometimes display. I would have a hard time selecting out of these gorgeous patterns. I love the transferware patterns.
Happy Weekend Alison……….

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Hi Alison, I REALLY lucked out a few years ago. I had a plain white ceramic turkey platter and my daughter got a beautiful turkey platter as a gift and hated it. I HAPPILY traded with her! I have to get it out but it looks alot like the plates you saw. I will let you know. I just know I love it!

Town and Country Gals said...

Alison,little
I love Tommy T! I have a turkey platter that I love and hang in my kitchen every fall thru Tk. I also have a collection of little brown turkey planters that I put at each person's place setting along with my turkey salt & peppers that I put on the table. My kids tell me that whenever I like something I go overboard! Could they possibly be right? Personally, I don't see it....! The collection of platters you showed are all gorgeous!
Rebecca

Karen said...

Alison,
These are lovely. I recently sold my turkey dinner plates on ebay. My daughter-in-law hosts Thanksgiving most years so I got rid of them. I love the Spode pattern of Woodland something. The pattern name is eluding me right now, but I love the autumn look of them.
xo,
Karen

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Alison, I enjoyed your turkey round-up so much! I am always on the lookout for good turkey dishes and the Clarice Cliff platter you are showing might have to come here to live! The cornstalks are such a great addition to the image! I use my salad turkeys with assorted dinner plates and then they really stand out. Thanks for the entertainment today! I needed a reminder to get my table planned for Thanksgiving dinner. Linda

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

HI Alison,

Thanks so much for the shout out! Those salad plates you saw are really, really hard to find too. I don't know why, but the salad plates with turkeys are the hardest to find. Perhaps not as many were made as were the regular dinner sized plates.
I love the last platter from Replacements. The colors are so vivid.
Every year, I think I'm going to keep a turkey platter for myself…I use it that Thanksgiving and then I always wind up selling it. lol
Thanks again for sharing all these beauties and the very nice mention!

Enjoy your weekend,

Nancy