Saturday, December 20, 2014

Mini holiday makeovers



Was scrolling through photos
this morning and saw a couple shots
that I thought might be fun 
to share with you all.

As I mentioned in my post
from yesterday, our little antique shop
does one show a year, a holiday show,
at a local girls' high school.
We shop from June through December
 to get ready 
for the show -- to find interesting
vintage and antique pieces to sell.
We occasionally mix in some new
or handmade items also.


Months ago my client/friend 
gave me this huge
3 foot wide iron frame clock
that she "inherited" when she
bought her home a couple
of years ago.

It is not old
but it had a nice shape 
and "good bones".

I thought it might be fun to include
 in our holiday sale.

Here is the clock before
the holiday makeover.

It had a printed cardboard face.




 I came up with the idea
that it might be fun to 
decoupage a vintage or old style
Santa Claus face on the clock.

That idea quickly faded when
I soon realized that Santa may end up
with a clock hand centered
in his eye or nose! 
Not good.

So I found this fantastic
poster/wrapping sheet for 
under $4 on Ebay.

Here is the link





But it came and it was not nearly
as large as I needed it to be.
So I took it to Kinko's and within
an hour they blew it up for me
on nice heavy weight paper.

I was able to cut it down
to a 35" circle and 
decoupaged it to the face.
Here is how it turned out:



 
Then I was at a holiday boutique in November
and a woman was selling newly made 
plaid pillows
that she had constructed using clean 
but old wool tartan throws. 
So I bought a couple.

A week or two later, 
I found these ultra-suede handmade cut-outs 
of a bear and a deer head at a flea market. 

The seller had cleverly machine stitched them 
to a heavy black wool felted backing.



I decided to attach them with super duper fabric glue
to the fronts of the red wool plaid pillows.

Look how cute they turned out!




Then, the final make-over
is not much of a makeover,
but kind of fun.

Our shop is called Blue Cardinal Vintage.
I walked into Hobby Lobby last month
and this cute sign was on clearance.
I grabbed it and brought it home.

It is on a base and stands about 4 feet tall.
You can see the base here in my shopping cart!

Bought a couple little bottles of paint
and 
voila!

We have a blue bird perched on the sign!



Ended up being the perfect piece 
to use at the sale.



And here it stood at our booth at the holiday sale!




That's it for my project sharing.
(Made the plaid pennant shown above for the shop too.)

What projects have you 
been working on?

:) 

~ Alison

24 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Loved them all Alison!!

Blondie's Journal said...

You are really creative, Alison. That's a neat retro Santa, love it!

I didn't know you had a shop! Where is it at? Maybe I can get out that way sometime!

Merry Christmas, dear lady!

Jane xxx

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hello sweet Alison!
How are you? I've missed you pretty lady. I just reupholstered a couple of French chairs in a tartan English plaid and thought of you when I was doing it as you are the queen of plaid and everything is great here, specially the pillows.
Wishing you a very merry Christmas,
FABBY

Rebecca said...

Your projects are sweet. I love the sign! I'm sure your shop was a success. Merry Christmas, Allison!

laney said...

...love!...blessings laney

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, my, Alison the clock face and pillows are too cute. You are so clever. Merry Christmas!!

Karena said...

Beautiful clock now with the Santa on its face! I love it and wish I had the room to store it during the year! So many beautiful gifts for holiday decor!

xoxo
Karena
Tis the Sunday before Christmas

Karen said...

Alison,
What great transformation. I love the sign for your shop and the Santa clock is great. The pillows are inspirations that I may have to follow up on in the new year.
I've not completed all of the little projects I had hoped to but at least the baking and presents are complete and I'm loving this week, filled with fun things and family.
Happy Holidays to you and yours.
xo,
Karen

Susan Hawthorne said...

You are a clever girl, my dear Alison! Adore that Santa clock!
Susan @ Romancing the Home

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Great ideas, one and all! I hope you're now able to tackle perparing your own house for Santa! Love your style, girl!
Cheers!,
Barbara

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Alison., I am loving tall the projects and especially the cute pillows. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
xx,
Sherry

Sarah said...

Alison, you are very clever! Love the Blue Cardinal sign. It's perfect! The tartan pillows are very clever as well. I keep looking for tartan throws or flannel shirts at thrifts to use for pillows, but no luck so far.
Have fun decorating your home for the holidays. Can't wait to see what you do this year.
Merry, Merry to you and your family. Love ~ Sarah

Babs said...

The Santa clock is amazing and I LOVE, LOVE the tartan pillows. Great job! I'm sure your sale was a huge success. Wish you were near here.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

That clock face is FANTASTIC!!! I wish I had it! The pillows are great too, I am really inot plaid this year!!! Wishing you a VERY merry and blessed Christmas!!! XO, Pinky

Our Hopeful Home said...

What fabulous creations, friend! I absolutely LOVE the plaid pillows. And deer silhouettes are an obsession of mine these days...The vintage Santa is perfect for that clock. Great idea to take it to an office store. I've done that with wall art too and it works out great! And your blue cardinal is darling. Hope the sale went well. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
xoKathy

Ron said...

I love them all, Alison! I love plaid. Do you have anything left over??? xo

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

love those pillows with the bear and deer. Too cute and pretty to be on sale for long...I'm sure someone snapped them right up!

At Home in English Valley said...

Merry Christmas dear Alison. Your creativity and kindness always inspire me. Hope our paths cross again someday soon. Love, Penny

Pura Vida said...

all such cute ideas! love the bluebird! have a very Merry Christmas

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow such cute and creative ideas! Love the pillows and chalk board art.
Have a very Merry Christmas!
Liz

La Vie Quotidienne said...

All of the projects are great...but my very favorite is the blue bird sign for the shop. Very cute!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the Santa clock face...great project!..and the chalkboard is just so beautiful ... Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

michele said...

awesome von awesome creative projects, alison! you are a genius. and i guess i have been asleep at the wheel not even knowing about your shop. perhaps i will sneak over and catch you there one day since that is the only way i believe we will connect. peace to you this busy season, and happy happy new year, friend.

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Sweet! Love the pillows and the sign!

Sandi