Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Antique Marble Slab



New finds in the kitchen
this week.

Last week, I mentioned my friend Carol's sale
and the antique apple picker's canvas bag.

Today I wanted to share 
a couple of other things 
I found while treasure hunting
at her pop-up shop.

:)





She had this wonderful old stray slab 
of Carrera marble that I could not pass up. 
  I finally hauled it in from the garage today
and added some heavy duty felt feet to the base.
This thing is HEV-EEEE!


Is there a name for this shape?
 Can someone out there enlighten me?
(I always wanted to own a swimming pool in this shape!)

Thought it would make an interesting layer
in the kitchen and hope to use it
as a fruit and cheese board when entertaining.

I also grabbed these old cloudy aqua
glass bottles that she had so many of ...
wishing I had brought home more of them.




They look like sea glass - 
so pretty.







The little oval tray 
that they are sitting in was also a find that day.
It's not old but looks like it might be.

Carol, you have 
SUCH A GREAT EYE!




Thank you for always finding 
such great treasures for us to pick from! 




What lovely thing have you found lately?

18 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

I love the marble slab. It looks like it was made for an occasional table or a dresser with the same shaped top. It certainly works in your kitchen and would be great for serving cheese. The bottles are amazing with their colour and patina. My latest find is an old cast iron covered cook pot. The inside is rusty so unusable I think but it will be fun to set it out somewhere. Maybe put flowers in it? It weighs a lot too. Have a great day.

At the garden gate said...

Down here in the South this is called a Turtle top because it is similar to the shell of a turtle. I have two that are the tops of Victorian hall tables. Congrats on such a lovely find and I really enjoy your blog soooo glad you were able to fix your problem and are posting again. I was having Polohouse withdrawal.

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Un très joli billet.
Hier je me trouvais chez mes amis qui ont une très grande maison avec de nombreux objets anciens partout. Dans l'une des cuisines il se trouvait une grande table. Le dessus de la table était un marbre aux formes identiques que celui que vous nous montrez seulement beaucoup plus grand.

Gros bisous ❀ ☼ ❀

Deserae said...

I have not found anything evenly remotely that awesome lately!!!! LOVE the vignette....the bottles are such a pretty color. Beautiful!!!!!
~Des

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Love the marble slab, Alison; and you've created such a beautiful vignette with it! It will be perfect for serving, as well.

Splenderosa said...

Love your purchases and how you've styled them. You will have the marble piece forever and find 100's of uses for it. xx's

Karena said...

Alison,the marble slab tray is wonderful for entertaining and I love the glass bottles as well!
Xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

therelishedroost said...

That piece is a beauty!! Love the vignette its so pretty!

Ron said...

Turtle top shape. I love it and your new finds. xo

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

Love the marble slab and the beautiful table scape.

Karen said...

I need to go shopping! What great finds.
I love the marble slab.
xo,
Karen

Pura Vida said...

L.O.V.E.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great finds Alison and beautiful vignette!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Hi Alison, I am sorry I haven't been by. LOTS going on around here. I thought when we retired we would sit back and put our feet up.....NOT! We are busier than ever but I love it! Tomorrow I am hosting 12 women neighbors for breakfast! I love, LOVE that marble slab! Sorry I don't know the name of the shape but it is beautiful!!!! XO, Pinky

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Love the marble slab!! So jealous! Have a great week.

Tante Mali said...

Congratulations! This marble slab is absolutely adorable. So beautiful with the nice corner pieces! Oh, I would like to have something like that.
And your decoration is fantastic!
Have a wonderful time
Elisabeth

Sarah said...

Alison, these are fun finds. I predict you will find the marble slab will be perfect for lots of things. It is beautiful. Recent finds here……a couple of vintage Halloween noise makers and a delightful children's Halloween book from 1919. It has wonderful graphics.

cindy hattersley design said...

Love that marble slab! I agree with Marsha you will find multiple uses if only you can move it !!!