Tuesday, February 12, 2013

New Treasures




My sweet friend, 
Eric, 
(aka my personal shopper)
came through for me again!





He found 
this lovely silver 
equestrian match box 
for me this week.

Love it.

Thanks Eric!


And here are a couple
other things that I found
while antiquing recently.



Vintage leather covered box with brass detailing
and framed picture inset.




Then I got this old
tortoiseshell hand mirror. 
It came from the owner
of the antique mall 
where our booth is located.
She decided to part with 
a couple pieces
of her antique tortoiseshell collection.

I was lucky ... got there just moments 
after she put it out to sell.





It is not perfect.
I has a hairline crack through it,
but I am okay with that.
It's for me, not for resale.





In 1972 it was declared illegal internationally
to manufacture real tortoiseshell
which was harvested from
Hawksbill sea turtle shells.
Since that time, 
synthetic versions were developed
to create a similar look.





I have also been
collecting little tortoiseshell
make-up compacts.




What finds have 
you 
come across lately?




Eric also found this metal horse head tassel for me last year. :)

19 comments:

Sarah said...

Great finds, Alison. I saw several equestrian items at the Nashville show and of course thought of you. Nothing as special as the match safe. What a beautiful piece! The tortoise pieces are favorites of mine. The compacts are lovely. Thanks for sharing your new finds. My latest finds are a few pieces of brown transfer ware, a pair of French wedding vases, and another little ring box that is tartan and silver ring box.
~ Sarah

michele said...

so pretty that tortoise shell!

i traded a hermes replica scarf for a pair of chanel shoes--my first chanels. not bad considering i got the scarf via barter as well!

smiles.

michele

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Great finds, so very pretty!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Wow, terrifc finds dear Alyson! You were lucky. Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's. Big hugs,
FABBY

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Oh I love the little match safe!! And the leather box as well. There are o many fabulous treasures to be had that I sometimes wonder why one would bother with new accessories.

Have a fabulous week!

Elizabeth

Kristi said...

I love, love, LOVE anything equestrian, which is one of the reasons I LOVE your blog so much! ;) I currently have a horse and 2 ponies and my kids are all horse crazy too! :) I ADORE the match box and horse tassel! thanks for sharing!
Kristi

Anonymous said...

The match safe is exquisite! You really did bring home some treasures. Very interesting about the history of the tortoiseshell products. Thanks so much for sharing your finds.
melinda

Tartan Terrace said...

Alison - I love all of your new old treasures. The leather-covered box is fab as well as the silver matchbox and tortoiseshell. Every collector needs an Eric in her life!

Susan Hawthorne said...

Allison- a really pretty collection of finds. That silver match box is a real treasure! So love your style! Susan @ Romancing the Home

Babs said...

Wonderful finds! The match safe and tortoise shell mirror are lovely.
I haven't found anything lately..:(
..(maybe I need an Eric), but I do enjoy seeing your new,and old treasures.
Hugs and Happy Valentine's Day,
Babs

The enchanted home said...

Beautiful finds but that matchbox...wow that is stunning!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Tortoiseshell is so warm and natural. Love it.

Terri~terrileeauthor said...

Oh my I love your new pretties.
Hey, how do I get a 'personal shopper'??? Lucky you. ha ha
Great finds
xo
Terri

Pura Vida said...

love them all but your last photo is just wonderful!

Karen said...

Alison,
What beautiful finds. I would love to have some tortoiseshell antique boxes, they've become too expensive, I keep hoping I'll stumble upon one for cheap. :-)
Karen

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

That matchbox is wonderful!!! What a wonderful find. I will look for a tortoise mirror, it would be perfect on my vanity! Faux of course. Love the box too. Thanks for sharing your new pieces. I wish I had an Eric:):0 We have been buying furniture pieces, not little pieces. XO, Pinky

Rose L said...

Love the matchbox. I have a few old cigarette boxes and a very old snuff box you would probably love.
One box has an old carved couple who kiss when the box is opened. I may end up posting and selling them on my blog. Keep watching!

debra @ 5th and state said...

splendid treasures alison!

everyone needs an eric in their life
xx
debra

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

beautiful finds